Thursday, April 03, 2008

April is Poetry Month

In memory of Dori Anderson
1938-2008

Ukiah Library's National Month of Poetry: Poem of the day

ALL-PURPOSE APOLOGY POEM

Austin Strauss

As a responsible adult, I must admit my guilt.

I did it.

Not the weather, not

my wife, not some “mood”

that mysteriously entered as I slept.

I did it.

“Guilt” may be too strong a word

but, in fact, I did the thing.

I made it happen.

No outside cause. No god, no devil.

No accident of fate, no drug or drink

or pill.

I did it.

I used my mind, I moved my hands

And arms and legs, ‘twas me who

dood it.

I broke the_____, I ruined the_____

I said the thing not said,

I was insentive, I was at fault.

I did it.

I drove the car, I dropped the dish,

I lost the key, I swung my fist,

I tore the page, I spilled the beer

I did it.

I was mean. I was stupid.

I was petty. I was cold.

Check one.

I did it.

Not you, not ten other guys,

not my parents, teachers, political

leaders, not even the capitalists or Russians.

Not my stars. Nor the moon

Or sun or winds or tides.

not my dog or my cat

Or my bird.

It was me. Me Me.



Willits Library National Poetry Month Poem(s) of the Day – April 2, 2008

Two by the High Priestess of American Poetry – EMILY DICKINSON

Wild Nights – Wild Nights!

Wild Nights – Wild Nights!

Were I with thee

Wild Nights should be

Our luxury!

Futile – the Winds –

To a Heart in port –

Done with the Compass –

Done with the Chart!

Rowing in Eden –

Ah, the Sea!

Might I but moor – Tonight –

In Thee!

“Hope” is the thing with feathers

“Hope” is the thing with feathers –

That perches in the soul –

And sings the tune without the words –

And never stops – at all –

And sweetest – in the Gale – is heard –

And sore must be the storm –

That could abash the little Bird

That kept so many warm –

I’ve heard it in the chilliest land –

And on the strangest Sea –

Yet, never, in Extremity,

It asked a crumb – of Me.



Labels: , , , , , ,