Thursday, April 08, 2010

April is National Poetry Month

Willits Library National Poetry Month Poem of the Day – April 6, 2010


CELEBRATING LUCILLE CLIFTON
(June 27, 1936 – February 13, 2010)

won’t you celebrate with me

won’t you celebrate with me
what i have shaped into
a kind of life? i had no model.
born in babylon
both nonwhite and woman
what did i see to be except myself?
i made it up
here on this bridge between
starshine and clay,
my one hand holding tight
my one hand; come celebrate
with me that everyday
something has tried to kill me
and has failed.

Ukiah Library National Poetry Month Poem of the Day for April 8, 2010

Actually Haiku
The ukiaHaiku Festival is Sunday April 18th at the Ukiah Civic Center
Here are a few winning Haiku from previous years.

Abandoned cow field
Chilly winter deer visit
Silhouettes in fog by Donna Kerr

On the autumn pond
a flotilla of gold leaves
riding wind ripples by Kayla Wildman

the mucky goose bowl
always needed fresh water
until Coyote Cathy Monroe

Labels: , , , , ,